Thursday, January 8, 2009

Wishing You a Risky 2009


Baby New Year 2009

I thought about posting the best of 2008, but I do that practically every time I blog. Will was obviously the '08 highlight! So instead, I decided I need to share some thoughts on '09.

I am particularly excited about the upcoming year. I'm so glad Will is going to be here from the start of it, but I think it's more than that. The first sermon of the year at church, about faith, reiterated a lot of what I've been thinking...

1. Faith is spelled R-I-S-K. (John Wimber) If God is as big and powerful as we claim He is, isn't He going to want us to do some big (aka risky) things?
2. On the surface faith makes no sense. Why doesn't faith make sense to most people? Because faith is being certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1
3. If I am a follower of Christ, I should be defined by my faith, which (back to #1) is spelled R-I-S-K. Therefore, I should be doing some risky things this year, that would seem crazy to most people.

What specifically am I talking about? First, let's look at the history books. The most recent example and closest to our hearts is that God asked us, 2 ordinary people who operate on an extremely average income, to undertake a very expensive adoption. When we stepped out on faith, God provided the money. We brought our little boy home and to date are not any deeper in debt for doing so. We believe that God asked those same 2 ordinary people, operating on that same average income, to cut that income in half and have one of us stay at home with our child, at the very least for a year. "Couponing" and being thrifty has almost become a hobby. The bills have all been paid on time thus far.

Back to 2009, I've never been a prophet. But there are some things I'm pretty sure I should work on this year, some riskier than others...
1. Potty Training--Will was able to hold it all day instead of going in a bag for the doctor. As soon as I took off the bag, he looked at me and said, "Mommy. Pee pee." Then he went in his diaper. Just one of many signs he's ready. Risks: more laundry, dirty floors, germs
2. Eating More Vegetables--I came up with a new word for what I am, meatitarian. I'm looking for yummy ways to fix veggies without tons of butter, sauce, and cheese. If you've got any good recipes, send them my way. Risks: grumpiness, going hungry
3. Play More--I'm great at fitting in some playing while I get my tasks done, but I have a hard time sitting still for prolonged, focussed play. I don't want my children to remember me as the mom who always had something else to do. Risks: Not getting as much "other stuff" done
4. Build our Photography Business--It's something we both love. God has sent photography jobs our way several times over the last few years when we weren't even looking. It seems that now is the time to press forward with that endeavor. We should have a website up very soon. If you know anyone who wants pictures, please send them our way! Risks: failure, getting out of the comfort zone, lots of time
5. Scripture Memory--I've been convicted of this since my freshman year of college (14 years ago!!!) and never really committed. Since I'm a huge Beth Moore fan and she's issuing a challenge on her blog, I've decided to jump in and finally do it. You can pick your own scripture to mememorize, which is important to me. I've never been able to focus on something just because it was meaningful to someone else. Check it out! Risks: time, God asking me to use that scripture when I selfishly don't want to (there's that comfort zone thing again!)
6. TBA--To Be Announced. But rest assured there is more, a lot more. The most meaningful of all, but there is a season for everything, and I just don't think it's the season to share quite yet. Besides, I have to give you a reason to keep coming back for more!

2 comments:

  1. i loved your blog post. Great goals ahead for the future while taking big Risks. I hope your faith is stretched far more than imagined! I forgot to tell you about the indian cuisine. i think. the curry was purchased at the store beside Tandoor. I will give you the name soon. It was delicious I thought. We had it with rice and nan bread. Also, I wanted to ask if you were considering doing the Beth Moore study on Esther. Justin bought me the book. Just dont know when I'm ready to dive in. I dont think i want to do it on my own either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand #3. Sometimes I feel so rushed once we're home and I'm trying to get dinner ready that I ignore the "up-a" or the cup of "tea" held out to me or I issue a "go play in the other room for now." I don't want to be that rushed mama either. Can't wait to hear about the other exciting new risks. I'll be along side ya' in risking the carpet for potty training (at least it's a rental!:)

    ReplyDelete